Crossing the state line into New York near Erie, Pennsylvania, the 7.5-mile trail runs through the beautiful Brokenstraw Valley, passing small streams, a tamarack swamp, deciduous woods and wildflowers.
The construction of railroad tracks through the piney woods of northern Pennsylvania in the early 1800s heralded a new era. By 1861 the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad (A&GW) intersected the Sunbury & Erie Railroad at a spot called, appropriately enough, Junction. The land at Junction was owned by Hiram Cory, who sold a small piece of this 63-acre holding to the A&GW Railroad in October 1861. Railroad superintendent Hill was so pleased by Mr. Cory's fair price that he renamed Junction in his honor, although he misspelled it in the process. That was the beginning of the City of Corry.
In 1865 the Oil Creek Cross Cut Railroad from Oil City, Pennsylvania, across the state line to Mayville, New York, was completed. The line operated under a number of different names until December 29, 1978, when the last train from Corry to Mayville ran on what was then called the Titus Secondary Tract. Included in Corry's rich railroad history is the invention and manufacturing of the Climax locomotive and rail cars that the logging industry used from 1888 until the 1920s. The Northwest Pennsylvania Trail Association purchased a portion of the rail corridor from Corry to Clymer in 2003.
The rough, hilly trail offers outdoor enthusiasts an adventure year-round. Several crossings do not meet the grade of the road or have inclines where cyclists may need to dismount. Transportation Enhancement funds (the largest source of federal funding for rail-trails) have been approved to make vast improvements to the trail surface, drainage and amenities, such as trailheads and signage.
Parking and Trail Access
To reach the Pennsylvania trailhead with parking: In Corry, turn north onto Route 426. Turn right onto Sciota Road, then right on Hereford Road. The lot is on the left.