The Greenway Trail is a one-mile path of finely crushed limestone that is located just outside of New Castle. The trail runs mostly on Craigs Creek Road (VA-615), but starts at a kiosk mimicing a railroad depot located on Commerce Avenue (VA-659). It starts off passing by homes and open fields the first half of the trail before slipping into a wooded area. For a third of the way, the user will enjoy some natural shade and will travel alongside Craig Creek. The route ends near the McCleary Elementary School parking lot. The path is enjoyed by school children who run, walk, or bike, and is an easy travel for all users.
Developed in 1891, a small portion of the Chesapeake and Ohio Branch line ran from Eagle Rock to New Castle. The line was built to carry primarily iron ore and was abandoned in 1961. Portions of the abandoned rail were converted to secondary roads such as VA-817, VA-685, and VA-818.Some visible underused sections are parallel to VA-615.
Parking available at McCleary Elementary School.