The Dequindre Cut Greenway is a paved path nearly 2 miles long in downtown Detroit. The trail has separate lanes for cyclists and pedestrians and you'll find entrance ramps at Lafayette Street, Gratiot Avenue, and Woodbridge Street.
The trail is called the “Cut” because it’s a wide trench that was sunk 25 feet below street level in the 1920s by the Grand Trunk Railroad to avoid foot and vehicle traffic, which continued overhead unimpeded on more than a dozen bridges. In the early-to-mid 1980s, when passenger and freight service was discontinued on the line, the corridor sat vacant and its bridge abutments became covered with graffiti. When the corridor opened as a trail in 2009, the colorful urban art was left and the graffiti murals are now one of its most-loved features.
At the trail’s southern end lies the Detroit River, a key part of the Great Lakes system and an international border; across the water is the City of Windsor in Ontario, Canada. Near Atwater Street, an easy connection can be made to the Detroit RiverWalk, which follows the river and links Milliken State Park, numerous plazas and pocket parks, and the Renaissance Center (a shopping, dining, lodging, and entertainment complex).
At its northern end is Eastern Market, a commercial district centered around a popular six-block farmers market (open Saturdays) that has been in operation since 1891.
Free parking is available at Rivard Plaza (1340 Atwater Street) near the trail's southern end. From the parking lot, take the Detroit Riverwalk east one block to the Dequindre Cut Greenway. Parking is also available along the side streets in the neighborhood but obey any parking restrictions.