Lehigh Memory Trail

Trail Map

Description Suggest an Edit

Just east of Buffalo, New York, lies the Lehigh Memory Trail in the Village of Williamsville. The pathway is a short paved trail that runs through the heart of the village. The trail can get crowded with rollerbladers, so stay alert on the weekends.

On the trail you will find the Williamsville Depot; this historic railroad depot was constructed in November 1896 by the Depew & Tonawanda Railroad, a subsidiary of the Lehigh Valley Railway. It is belived that the Williamsville Depot was the last station structure completed by the original Lehigh Valley Railway. Passenger service ended at the depot sometime in the early 1950's, but the freight agent manned the building until 1974.

The building was sold to International Chimney in 1986 by Conrail and the Western New York Railway Historical Society (WNYRHS) acquired the station from them in 1990. The lands and right-of-way were acquired by the Village of Williamsville at the same time and a nearly 3/4 of a mile section of the right-of-way from South Long to Cayuga Streets has been converted into Lehigh Memory Trail. The WNYRHS leases the land that the station sits upon from the Village of Williamsville. The station is only one of three original mainline Lehigh Valley stations that still exist in New York State in their original locations.

For more information please contact the Village of Williamsville at (716) 632-4120.

Parking and Trail Access

Reviews