The Miami & Erie Canal was built between 1825 and 1845, an engineering marvel stretching from Cincinnati to Toledo. This canal was heavily used until competition from the railroad caused the decline of the canal system. The Miami & Erie Canal was last used commercially in 1929.
The Miami & Erie Canal Trail passes through many quaint towns and villages. Numerous locks, spillways and historic buildings remain from the canal era, and much of the local history has been preserved in the many museums located along the corridor.
The trail connects three state parks, local parks, community trails and historical sites. Sections of the trail are part of the Buckeye Trail
and North Country National Scenic Trail
Sections of the Miami & Erie Canal Trail include:
The Delphos to Spencerville
The Spencerville to St. Marys
The St. Marys to New Breman
The New Breman to Minster
The Minster to Ft. Loramie
Parking and access is available along the corridor in Delphos, Spencerville, St. Marys, New Bremen, Minister and Fort Loramie.