This 2.4-mile paved trail provides a quiet, scenic escape northwest of Philadelphia, from Encke Park at Radnor-Chester Road to the shopping center at Sugartown Road and Route 30. The trail travels mostly through wooded areas, passes near local parks and is lined with several benches.
Founded in 1902, the Philadelphia and Western Railway Company (P&W) was intended to be part of Jay Gould's proposed intercontinental electric railway. Gould's grand and progressive plan was scaled back, as was the route of the P&W Trains, featuring luxurious, elaborately appointed cars. It once traveled from Philadelphia's 69th Street Station to suburban Strafford. For the first few months, the trains ran every quarter hour, with the full route taking a half hour. The line remained active until 1956, when it was replaced with bus service.
In 2005 Radnor Township celebrated the opening of the multi-purpose Radnor Trail. Running through residential areas, the trail provides a popular off-road route to retail centers and schools.
Parking and Trail Access
To reach the trailhead from Interstate 476, take Exit 13 onto Route 30 West. Continue and turn left onto Radnor-Chester Road. Continue and turn right onto Conestoga Road. Proceed on Conestoga Road to trail parking on your left, near the intersection with Brookside Avenue.