The Sugar Creek Trail meanders on the outskirts of Crawfordsville (southwest) through suburban back yards, wooded parks and cultivated fields. It follows part of an old railroad corridor that dates to 1853, the Central Pacific Railroad. The trail begins behind Crawfordsville High School's entrance off State Route 47 and carries along a somewhat hilly route along SR 32. The trail follows a branch stream of Sugar Creek and ends at the scenic Sugar Creek bridge just past Sportsmans Club Lake.
Note: there is a shared route with a former Conrail track between the Donnelley trailhead and the western section; here you'll find a short limestone section that leads to the wider asphalt trail.
Parking and Trail Access
Parking and trail access are as follows:
*Crawfordsville High School: park at the rear of the school near the trail
*Christ Lutheran Church: parking is permitted, as is use of their restrooms and drinking fountains
* RR Donnelley Trail Head Park: 1120 Big Four Arch Rd. (W. Jennison St.) behind Wabash College; picnic shelter
*Rock River Landing Trail Head Park: 44 Rock River Ridge Rd.; port-a-john