The Gary L. Haller National Recreation Trail along the linear Mill Creek Streamway Park parallels an active rail line for about 6 miles of its length at its southern end. The trail runs for 17 miles from the Kansas River at Nelson Island south to Olathe. About 4 miles of trail are also designated for equestrians.
Along the way you will find numerous shelters, picnic areas, drinking fountains, playgrounds and restrooms. The trail is an important connecting corridor for the communities it links and a model urban trail system. There are some steep sections of the trail.
Access and parking for the Gary L. Haller National Recreation Trail are as follows:
* 4731 Wilder Road near the intersection with Holliday Drive, Shawnee
* north of Shawnee Mission Parkway at 5946 Barker Road, Shawnee
* 19405 Midland Drive (west of I-435) at Shawnee Mission Parkway & Midland Drive, Shawnee
* Shawnee Mission Park near Shelter 8 and North end of dam, Lenexa
* 19865 W. 87th Lane, Lenexa
* 18450 W. 95th Street, Lenexa;
* 11499 S. Millview, west of Ridgeview Road, Olathe
* 119th & Northgate, east of Woodland Avenue, Olathe
For a detailed map of access points and amenities, view the local map.