The Salt Creek Trail travels nearly 27 miles from the Brookfield Zoo to Busse Woods Forest Preserve. Along the way it connects several beautiful county forest preserves and other woodland areas.
Portions of the trail are paved, while others have a limestone screening, and a few short segments are an on-road route. It is well marked throughout, although take care at some junctions, which can confuse.
The Salt Creek Trail intersects the Illinois Prairie Path in Villa Park, and follows it for a short stretch around State Route 83.
Parking is available at several points along the trail, including (from north to south):
- Busse Woods Forest Preserve (Elk Grove Village)
- Salt Creek Park Forest Preserve (Wood Dale)
- Cricket Creek Forest Preserve (Addison)
- Bemis Woods (Western Springs)
- Possum Hollow Woods (Westchester)