The River Mountains Loop Trail runs for about 35 miles on a loop surrounding the River Mountains, which form the backdrop of Las Vegas and Henderson. The trail connects Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Hoover Dam, Boulder City, Henderson and Lake Las Vegas. The River Mountains are home to one of the largest big horn sheep populations in Nevada, which you may encounter on this trail.
The River Mountains Loop Trail is 12 feet wide and paved, with an adjacent trail for equestrians for about 15 miles of its length. About 3.5 miles of the trail occupy the old bed of a railroad that once ran from Boulder City to Hoover Dam, supplying materials to build the dam. The River Mountains Loop Trail shares its southern section for a few miles with the Historic Railroad Hiking Trail
. The two trails have a common trailhead at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area visitor center on Lakeshore Road.
The River Mountains Loop Trail has many access points along its route. Some include:
1) Railroad Pass Hotel Casino, 2800 S. Boulder Hwy., Henderson; upper parking lot
2) Bootleg Canyon Park, Yucca St. & Nevada Hwy., Boulder City
3) Lake Mead NRA Visitor Center, Lakeshore Rd. & Nevada hwy
4) Lake Mead NRA Fee Station, Lake Mead Parkway going east out of Henderson & Lakeshore Rd.
5) Equestrian Park, Foothills Drive & Equestrian Drive, Henderson